What to Expect After Heart Surgery
This guide is presented by STS to help answer questions that patients and their families often ask before and after heart surgery so that they are better prepared for recovery. Remember: If your physician’s instructions differ in any way from those listed, always follow the advice of your own physician.
The What to Expect After Heart Surgery brochure is available in:
Visit ctsurgerypatients.org - Download a printable flyer to share the details of the STS patient website.
Navigating Lung Cancer - A patient education guide, from the CHEST Foundation and STS, provides information on many aspects of lung cancer.
Common Diagnostic Tests - This page contains brief descriptions of many common diagnostic tests used for cardiothoracic patients.
Smoking cessations materials also are available:
- Stop Smoking for Surgery (brochure)
- Quit Smoking (wallet card)
- Quit Smoking Before Your Operation (brochure)
Your Lung Operation: Education for a Better Recovery - This 20-page booklet, from the American College of Surgeons, will help you prepare for your operation and recovery.
Choosing Wisely and Sharecare
On February 21, 2013, The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) released a list of specific tests and procedures that are commonly ordered, but not always necessary in cardiothoracic surgery.
The list is part of the Choosing Wisely® campaign, an initiative of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Foundation that identifies targeted, evidence-based recommendations that can support conversations between patients and physicians about what care is really necessary.
As part of the Choosing Wisely initiative, STS, the ABIM foundation, and Consumer Reports have collaborated to produce several free patient brochures:
- Tests Before Heart Surgery
- Heart Stress Tests Before Chest Surgery
- Echocardiography After Surgery to Replace a Heart Valve
- Medical Tests Before Surgery
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons also partners with Sharecare, a website developed by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Jeff Arnold as a “home for your health.”
Sharecare experts include physicians and health professionals from all over the country, so users can find the health answers, advice and resources that are right for them - and right nearby – through articles, videos, blogs, programs and assessments.
Visit the STS page on Sharecare to learn more.
Website Image Credit
This website contains images from the following resources:
- Abbott Vascular
- Amanda Adey
- The Annals of Thoracic Surgery
- Baylor Health Care
- Shanda H. Blackmon, MD, MPH (Mayo Clinic)
- By BruceBlaus - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0
- Delgadillo Family
- DiGiovanni Family
- Garcia Family
- Genore Family
- Steven P. Goldberg, MD
- Harty Family
- James Heilman, MD, Own work CC BY-SA 3.0
- Lauren C. Kane, MD, FACS (Texas Children’s Hospital)
- Medtronic, Inc.
- National Cancer Institute
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- National Insitutes of Health
- Keith S. Naunheim, MD (St. Louis University)
Darshan Reddy, MD (Nelson R. Mandela School of Medicine)
Mark J. Russo, MD (Barnabas Heart Hospital)
- St. Jude Medical
- The University of Cincinatti
- The University of Texas Southwestern
- Yale University
- Zamudio Family